Carefully evaluate your personal needs and situations in determining how best to prepare your emergency kit. Listed below are some tips and recommendations:
- 3 to 5 day water supply based on one gallon per person per day. Fill a bathtub with water.
- Stock a supply of non-spoiling food that requires no cooking.
- Remember utensils such as a sharp knife, can opener and eating utensils.
- Priority items are battery powered lights and radio. Keep extra batteries and safety matches.
- Remember personal items such as medicines, toiletries, and garbage bags.
- If possible, stock a large cooler with ice.
- Obtain a portable emergency generator if possible.