Not only do we lose heat or cool through windows, they also offer an easy target for the criminal. Windows are an easily accessible entrance.
Double Hung Windows
All double hung windows should be pinned. To do so, follow these steps:
- Drill a 9/64″ hole through each corner of the lower window at a slight downward angle.
- Extend the hole into the lower corners of the upper window about half way.
- A 16-penny nail or eyebolt will fit freely into the holes. The nail can be shortened to desired length.
Aluminum Frame Sliding Windows
If you have aluminum frame sliding windows, they should be secured to reduce vertical clearance between the window and track. Follow these easy steps:
- Slide window to open position.
- Install two one inch #12 sheet metal screws in track above window at each end.
- Adjust screws to allow for minimum clearance between screws and window.
- These windows can also be secured in the same fashion as the sliding patio doors.